Master of Arts (Coursework)
Master of Arts in English Language and Linguistics (Coursework) (admitted from August 2016 Intake and after)
The Master of Arts in English Language and Linguistics (Coursework) is a fully taught program, designed to be completed in one year of intensive full-time study, or over a longer period of part-time study. Only those locally domiciled are eligible for part-time study.
To qualify for the degree of Master of Arts in English Language and Linguistics, candidates will be required to complete 40 modular credits (MCs) or 10 modules (each module is worth 4 MCs):
- successfully complete ten modules: three compulsory modules and seven elective modules, with no more than 2 level 4000 modules. The compulsory modules are:
o EL5101 Grammatical Analysis
o EL5102 Phonetics and Phonology
o EL5103 Language in Society
Subject to the approval of the Department, candidates may take up to 2 modules from other departments, or level 6000 modules.
Candidates who have completed equivalent modules which were not used towards obtaining another degree prior to admission to the Master of Arts in English Language and Linguistics may apply to the Department for an exemption of module(s), subject to a maximum of 50% of the MA requirements.
- obtain a minimum Cumulative Average Point (CAP) of 3.00 for all examinable modules. The candidature of a student will be terminated if he/she:
- obtains a CAP of less than 2.5 for two consecutive semesters, or less than 3.0 for three consecutive semesters; or
- fails more than two modules
- fulfil 50% residency in Singapore.