FOR NUS STUDENTS
The SEP provides students with an opportunity to study abroad for a semester or full year without having to incur additional cost of tuition abroad. Students pay their annual fees at NUS but can take their modules in countries such as the USA, UK, Australia and New Zealand, Denmark, Sweden, Holland, China, Hong Kong, etc. You need not learn a new language; all you need to do is take modules that are conducted in English. NUS have established MOUs with many partner universities which are attractive to our Geography students.
Some universities that our students have attended include University of British Columbia, Lancaster University, Victoria University of Wellington, University College London, University of Melbourne and Hong Kong University. The Department has a department-to-department MOU with Loughborough University which means that spaces have been exclusively set aside for Geography students only. Although Durham University comes under an MOU signed with NUS rather than the department, places have also been set aside for geography students. Here's the list of NUS partner universities.
To apply for the SEP, please visit here.
You are requested to take note of the deadlines. If you are interested in Loughborough University (Sem 1: beginning of October to early February; Sem 2: mid-February to mid-June), read the Loughborough University's Loughborough University's Fact Sheet for incoming exchange students 2017/2018
You can apply to do the SEP for either a semester or a whole year. Generally, students are discouraged from going for SEP during their final graduating year. The recommended period for embarking on the SEP is during the first or second semester of the Second Year. Students are also advised that they should set aside sufficient funds to cover accommodation and living expenses. Students should also ensure that they apply and confirm accommodation at the partner University overseas before they leave. If financial resources prove to be a challenge, students can apply for the Office of Alumni Relations (OAR) awards (to any country), and Registrar’s Office SEP Loan. DUO-Singapore Exchange Fellowship (DUO), is also available for European destinations. Students who are on the Ministry of Education Scholarship can approach the MOE for funds to cover airfare and some living expenses. Please verify and check with MOE for details. It is also advisable to go to the NUS Registrar's Office - Student Exchange Programme website to learn more about their special programmes, announcements, information, awards etc. for SEP students.
Students have to submit their mapping applications online. This should only be done AFTER they have been confirmed a placing in the partner university. When selecting the number of modules to take, keep in mind what is needed to graduate. Please also note that:
- For Geography and BES-Geography Majors who go on SEP for one semester, the SEP coordinator will process a maximum of 8 mapping applications (Max 2 modules can be mapped at L4000 level when students submit the module mapping requests, but only ONE L4000 module could eventually be transferred and the exact MC is determined by the MC conversion ratio at specific partner university).
- Only final year modules at partner universities can be mapped back to L4000 modules in NUS. It is the students’ responsibility to provide such information (i.e., what L4000 modules to be mapped in NUS) in their applications. Otherwise, the applications could be rejected.
- The SEP coordinator can map all modules offered by the Geography Department at partner universities. However, for modules offered by non-Geography departments, the SEP coordinator will deal with them on a case-by-case basis.
- The SEP coordinator can only provide dummy codes mapping up to L3000 for non-Geography and non-BES-Geography Majors applicants for modules offered by the Geography Department at partner universities. The SEP coordinator may not map modules offered by non-Geography Department at partner universities.
- No mapping applications will be accepted after the student has completed the SEP programme.
You should also refer to the FASS SEP webpage for further information before submitting your application. Please look through Important FAQs carefully for SEP credit transfer and other commonly asked questions.
You can contact the Geography SEP coordinator (Dr Nawaz Muhammad) for further enquiry.