Ong Chit Chung Memorial Scholarship
Department Level Scholarship
The Ong Chit Chung Memorial Scholarship is set up in memory of the late Dr Ong Chit Chung. He was a well-known Member of Parliament of the Jurong GRC (Group Representation Constituency) and NUS Alumnus (1972), who studied and taught at the Department of History. He had cared for and contributed much to the cause of education.
The fund will support a full scholarship for a 4-year honours degree in History, at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
The award of this scholarship will commence with the AY2012 cohort.
Applications open from November for the freshmen cohort of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. All hard copy documents are to be submitted. Due to the prestige associated with scholarships, late applicants or incomplete forms may not be considered.
Value of Award
The award will cover the Scholarship holder’s tuition fees (excluding the MOE Tuition Grant) for the entire undergraduate candidature.
The Scholarship will be awarded in the second semester of the Scholarship holder’s candidature. There will be a refund of his/her first and second semester’s tuition fees (excluding the MOE Tuition Grant). From the second semester, funds from the Scholarship will be disbursed directly to the Office of Finance for payment of the Scholarship holder’s tuition fees, until he/she completes the Honours degree requirements or he/she ceases to be eligible for continuation under the Scholarship terms, whichever is earlier.
- Only Singapore citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents will be eligible for the Scholarship.
- First year FASS students who is reading HY1101E and will declare History as their major in NUS.
- Interested students should also have:
- -- excellent ‘A’ level results or equivalent qualifications;
- -- strong leadership qualities and potential; and
- -- good co-curricular activities record.
- Financial need (based on indicators such as family per capita income indicator) will be the deciding factor for breaking ties.
- For the continuation of the Scholarship to the Honours year, the Scholarship holder is required to (i) continue reading History as his/her major; and (ii) maintain a cumulative average point (CAP) of 3.50 or higher.
- The Scholarship holder must not concurrently hold any other awards such as scholarships, grants, bursaries or free aid, without the prior approval of the Selection Committee as well as the respective awarding bodies.
- Students are required to complete the online form.
- All supporting documents other than financial supporting documents, must be submitted personally to the Department of History at AS1 #05-27, within the application period.
- Shortlisted candidates who have passed HY1101E and declared major will be invited to attend an interview in January or February.
- Successful applicants will be notified by email.
Upon Successful Application
Submit the Acceptance Form.